It is important for the life care planner to recognize that accurately calculating costs is extremely important when developing a life care plan.
To demonstrate the magnitude of correctly calculating costs, take this case example in which the following recommendations were made for physical therapy, occupational therapy, and individual counseling:
- Occupational therapy (OT): 3x/week for one year, at $85 per session.
- Physical therapy (PT): 2x/week for one year, at $75 per session.
- Individual Counseling (IC): 2x/week for 6 months, at $135 per session.
The life care planner calculates the costs as follows:
- OT: (3 x 52 weeks = 156 sessions per year) 156 x $85 = $13,260 total
- PT: (2 x 52 weeks = 104 sessions per year) 104 x $75 = $7,800 total
- IC: (2 x 24 weeks = 48 sessions) 48 x $135 = $6,480 total
- Total cost of therapy: $27,540
Is this total correct? Justify your response.