This lesson will explore the following topics:
This lesson will address the post-acute rehabilitation process, specifically focusing on children with spinal cord injury. The lesson will discuss the process of aging with a spinal cord injury. An emphasis is placed on the importance of considering the aging process when generating a life care plan.
- Understand the fundamentals of life care planning for the child with paraplegia
- Understand the fundamentals of life care planning for the child with tetraplegia
- Understand the psychological aspects of spinal cord injury for the child with spinal cord injury
- Understand the process of aging with spinal cord injury and the concept of declination charts
- Read pages 345-348 of Chapter 15: “Life Care Planning for the Child with Spinal Cord Injury” in Pediatric Life Care Planning and Case Management.
This section of Chapter 15 discusses specific rehabilitation needs for children with spinal cord injury. The section also discusses psychological issues, equipment needs, vocational issues, neuroprosthesis, and long-term care. Service dogs and procreation are explained.
- Read pages 400-408 of Chapter 16: “Life Care Planning for Children with Neurodevelopmental Disabilities” in Pediatric Life Care Planning and Case Management.
This part of Chapter 16 explains that multidisciplinary care is necessary for the treatment of spina bifida. Assistive devices and transition to adulthood for individuals with spina bifida are discussed.