Case Study: Samantha Stevenson
Review the report provided to you without looking at the life care plan. Identify Samantha’s needs based on the narrative report.
View the Narrative Report for Samantha Stevenson – Click here for Narrative Report
List your recommendations for her life care plan. Outline all appropriate areas of the plan. (You may refer to page 6 in Life Care Planning and Case Management Handbook 3rd Edition for a summary). Now list all associated items. You will need to consider Samantha’s age, home health care, therapy, and long-term medical and educational needs. Identify the purpose and the beginning and ending dates of each item, and be sure to address any and all potential complications.
When you think that you have finished listing all associated needs, compare the life care plan that you developed to the one provided in the case example. Review the model plan and be sure that you comprehend why each item was included. Look back over your plan, and evaluate the following:
- Did you include an assistive technology evaluation in and training in your plan?
- Did you include family education and counseling in your plan?
- Did you notice the need for an evaluation by a nutritionist?
- What type of wheelchair did you recommend for Samantha?
- Did you adequately identify all the home health care/facility care options for Samantha?
- What home furnishings did you include for Samantha?
- Did you provide case management services? Home maintenance services?
View the Life Care Plan for Samantha Stevenson – Click here for Life Care Plan
View the Potential Complications for Samantha Stevenson – Click here for the Potential Complications Report
Now, create a vocational worksheet containing these elements:
- Physical and Cognitive vocational handicaps
- Emotional difficulties that may potentially interfere with successful employment
- Placeability (her ability to be placed in a job)
- Pre-injury earnings capacity vs. Post-injury earnings capacity
You may have left out some of the items listed in the case example. Understand that reviewing the sample is easier than creating your own plan.
View the Vocational Worksheet for Samantha Stevenson – Click here for the Vocational Worksheet