This lesson will explore the following topics:
- Identify the various types of upper extremity amputations
- Explain the complications of upper extremity amputations
- Explain the phases of rehabilitation for individuals with amputations
1. Listen to:
Dr. Roger Weed provides a general overview of amputation in this audio lecture. In this presentation, Dr. Weed reviews the history, classification, and causes of amputation. Upper extremity amputations are also discussed.
2. Readings (click link)
- If you have Life Care Planning and Case Management Handbook (3rd edition), Chapter 12: “Life Care Planning for the Amputee” (pgs. 322-330)
- If you have Life Care Planning and Case Management Handbook (4th edition), Chapter 12: “Life Care Planning for the Amputee” (pgs. 336-343)
Life care planning for the client with an amputation is a unique process. This reading assignment will introduce the student to the phases of amputation rehabilitation, demographics of limb amputation, the levels of limb amputation, phantom pain, and residual limb pain.
Photo credit: © Sport the library/Tom PuttSydney 2000 Paralympic GamesAthletics – Views Australian Amuptee athlete (female)