This lesson will explore the following topics:
In this lesson, students will become familiar with the process of solid organ transplantation as it relates to life care planning. Specific issues relating to organ transplantation in children will be presented. The lesson will familiarize the student with the process of organ procurement, the candidacy process, and the vocational issues encountered by individuals who have undergone organ transplantation. Financial issues and discharge planning will be discussed. Students will also become familiar with the immunosuppressant medications used following organ transplantation and the various resources available for use in the life care plan for children who are in need of organ transplantation.
- Be able to identify the issues regarding solid organ transplantation and those issues specifically related to children
- Understand the process of organ procurement
- Be aware of the organ transplant candidacy process
- Identify the vocational issues faced by individuals who have undergone organ transplantation
- Be familiar with the medications used for postoperative management of organ transplantation
- Identify resources for children who need organ transplants
- Read “Introduction to Solid Organ Transplantation”
- Read “Procedures for Transplantation”
- Read “Kidney (Renal) Transplantation”
- Read “Pancreas and Pancreas-Kidney Transplantation”
- Read “Liver Transplantation”
- Read “Thoracic Transplantation (Heart, Lung, Heart/Lung)”
- Read “Intestinal Transplantation”
- Read “Vocational Considerations and Rehabilitation”
- Read “Familial or Caregiver Support”
- Chapter 19: “Life Care Planning for Organ Transplantation” in Life Care Planning and Case Management Handbook (3rd edition) or Chapter 18:
- Life Care Planning for Organ Transplantation” in Life Care Planning and Case Management Handbook (4th edition)
- In this chapter, the authors provide the reader with an introduction to life care planning for individuals in need of an organ transplantation. The chapter addresses the transplant candidacy process, organ procurement, and transplantation management. Complications, vocational issues, and long-term follow-up are discussed.
- Read Chapter 24: “Life Care Planning for Pediatric Solid Organ Transplantations” in Pediatric Life Care Planning and Case Management, Second Edition, 2011, or Read: Chapter 31: “Life Care Planning and Pediatric Transplantation in Patients” in Pediatric Life Care Planning and Case Management, First Edition, 2004In this chapter, the authors address issues of organ transplantation in pediatric patients. Financial issues, coverage and benefits, and discharge planning are addressed.
Image credit: By GustavoHCL (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons