Describe a few strategies that should be utilized by life care planners in order to maintain their assistive technology knowledge base.
A few ideas mentioned in your online reading assignment “Assistive Technology” include:
- Attending conferences or workshops that focus on assistive technology.
- Maintaining your name and address on manufacturer’s vendors’ mailing lists.
- Keeping your information up to date on the newsletter publication lists of the manufacturer.
- Subscribing to newsletters and publications that cover assistive technology topics.
- Obtaining assistive technology videos from manufacturers, universities, and other organizations.
- Reviewing assistive technology databases and bulletin boards.
- Getting the product information from databases on CD ROM/disk.
- Reading and reviewing textbook information on assistive technology.
- Verifying the information found in textbooks (ex: that the product is still manufactured and the best for your client).
- Continually checking the Internet for the most up to date assistive technology that is available in the market.
For additional information see online reading assignment: “Assistive Technology” Written By: Diane C. Bristow, M.S., CCC-SLP and Gail L. Pickering, M.A.
Bristow and Pickering. “Assistive Technology.” In P. Deutsch and H. Sawyer (Ed.) A Guide to Rehabilitation. White Plains, NY: AHAB Press.