This lesson will explore the following topics:
The purpose of this lesson is to acquaint students with the vital elements of the life care plan. Each element of the life care plan is explained. This lesson will expose students to the use of collateral sources in the life care plan.
After completing this lesson you should be able to:
- Recognize the essential components of the Life Care Plan
- Understand the use of collateral sources in the Life Care Plan
- Recognize the multidimensional and transdisciplinary nature of the life care planning process
- Listen to the audio lecture “Areas to Cover in the Life Care Plan”. Here Dr. Deutsch describes each of the areas that should be included in the life care plan. Examples are given for each area of the plan. Click here for PDF notes for the lecture.
- Read “The Elements of the Life Care Plan” (Please see attached file: Lesson 3 – Reading).
- Read Chapter 35: “Special Education Law and the Pediatric Patient” in Pediatric Life Care Planning and Case Management (Second Edition). (If using First Edition: Chapter 39).This chapter describes several federal laws that are important to children and individuals with disabilities. The laws include the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. The No Child Left Behind Act and the New Freedom Initiative are also explained.